To learn how to use a car battery charger right you do not rush in chargers blazing. There are preliminary steps to follow to ensure maximum effectiveness. This is followed by different methods for when the battery is inside the car as opposed to when it is outside.
Preliminary Battery Charger Steps
- The area around the battery should always be well ventilated.
- Lightly connect the charger cable clips without having them press down on the link-points.
- Each cell could do with some distilled water until battery acid levels attain those recommended by the manufacturer. You need to be extra careful when dealing with valve regulated l lead-acid-batteries (these have removable cell caps that should not be overfilled).
- Use precise battery voltage and set your charger up accordingly. You can rely on the output voltage selector switch for this.
- When dealing with batteries that have adjustable charge rates, set it to the lowest first.
- If you have to separate battery and vehicle, make sure you take out the grounded terminal first. You can prevent arcing by offing all vehicular accessories.
- The battery terminal needs to be cleaned. Take safety measures while doing this so airborne corrosion particle do not enter your mouth, nose, and eyes. You can get rid of said corrosion by neutralizing the battery acid using baking soda and water.
Intermediate Battery Charger Steps
- Make certain all charger switches are ‘off’ when connecting and disconnecting the DC output clips. Follow the same when separating AC plug from electrical outlet.
- Based on the length of the DC cables, let charger and battery be situated as far from each other as reasonably possible.
- Suffice to say the battery should never rest atop the charger or vice versa, else (in the latter case) battery gases will corrode the charger.
- The output clips should never come in contact with each other.
- While filling the battery or reading electrolyte specific gravity, do not let battery acid drip onto the charger.
Battery Is Inside Vehicle
- Safety Steps: Stay clear of pulleys, fan blades, belt, etc. Position AC and DC cables in such a way that hot/moving engine parts, door, and hood do not damage them.
- The POSITIVE (POS, P, +) battery post generally has a larger diameter than the NEGATIVE (NEG, N, -) post. Check polarity of both posts.
- One of the posts will be grounded/connected to the chassis. Depending on which, different steps will need to be followed.
- For positive-grounded vehicle: Connect the battery charger’s NEGATIVE (BLACK) clip to the NEGATIVE (NEG, N, -) ungrounded battery post. Meanwhile, connect the POSITIVE (RED) clip to the vehicle’s chassis or engine block.
Keep it away from the battery itself, and see that the clip, sheet-metal parts, and fuel lines do not link with the carburettor. A heavy gauge metal part of the engine block/frame is a good connecting spot.
- For negative-grounded vehicle: Connect the battery charger’s POSITIVE (RED) to the POSITIVE (POS, P, +) ungrounded battery post.
Meanwhile, connect the NEGATIVE (BLACK) clip to the vehicle’s chassis or engine block. Follow the same settings as earlier.
- Disconnection: Turn all switches to ‘off’, AC cord disconnect, clip removal from chassis, and clip removal from battery terminal.
Battery Is Outside Vehicle
- Repeat similar safety measures and polarity checks as above.
- The 24-inch long 6-gauge (AWG) insulated battery cable needs to be linked up with the NEGATIVE (NEG, N, -) battery post. Meanwhile, the POSITIVE (RED) charger clip has to meet the POSITIVE (POS, P, +) battery post.
- Position both the cable and yourself as far away from the battery as possible to reduce or eliminate risk of sparking or other safety concerns. Only then should you connect the NEGATIVE (BLACK) charge clip to the cable’s end. Try not facing the battery when performing the final connection.
- Disconnection: Follow the reverse order of connections, and break the first link staying as far from the battery as you can manage.
The above were some tips about how to use a car battery charger , hope help you using batteries in right way.