Best AA Rechargeable Batteries / Battery Charger Reviews
So your TV remote controller ran out of battery and you again forgot to buy a new one? Well, that’s a common scenario with non-rechargeable batteries and that’s when we feel that we should switch to best rechargeable AA batteries and AA battery chargers. Right?
We thus thought of sharing a deep insight on rechargeable AA batteries, discussing their features and benefits. We’ll also discover the best rechargeable AA batteries and chargers in this article.
Let’s get started.
An AA battery, also known as double A or Mignon battery comprises a normal size single cell cylindrical dry battery. A wide varieties of rechargeable batteries are available in the market, ranging from lithium-ion to the presently defunct nickel-cadmium, while nickel-metal hydride batteries (Ni-MH) are the popular solution with a capacity almost three times of nickel-cadmium batteries and an energy density comparing with lithium-ion. The batteries possess remarkable recharge capacity and are able to retain most of their energy during extended storage. Moreover, based on your opted brand, you normally won’t require another pack for upwards of 5 years.
The finest AA rechargeable batteries provide over 400 hours battery life, sustain to their declared capacity and remain charged between uses. The primary feature which distinguishes rechargeable batteries of identical size is their capacity, measured in milliamp hours (mAh). Capacity represents the quantity of electrical charge held inside the battery. The greater the charge in a battery, the greater electrical current it can furnish and the longer your device can be powered by it. AA rechargeable batteries have capacities ranging from 1,300mAh to 2,900mAh and can be used in a range of applications ranging from TV Remote Controllers to Alarm Radios, Clocks, Flashlights and Wii Controllers, Walkie Talkies, MP3 players, Personal CD players and Bicycle lights.
Rechargeable AA batteries are gaining immense popularity now more than ever. All thanks to the range of benefits that they have on offer!
They can be conveniently recharged by a battery charger
- Peak performance is ensured even during low battery signal
- Environment friendly
- Save money as they are reusable numerous times
- Effortless charging via AA battery charger
Even AA battery chargers ensure ease of operation through their charge indicator, super-fast charging, and low cost, a built-in timer to secure rechargeable batteries and increase their life, a tab which makes the bay shorter or longer to accommodate the different length of the batteries. And so on!
Now that you are convinced of the goodness of rechargeable AA batteries and AA battery chargers, let’s talk about the best rechargeable AA batteries that we have in markets today.
5 Best Rechargeable AA Batteries Reviews
Choosing one out of range of rechargeable batteries present in the market today is no less than a herculean task. This is why we thought of helping you with the best rechargeable batteries based on user reviews, market popularity and performance of each battery.
AmazonBasics AA Rechargeable Batteries
This is a perfect battery that you might want to explore. It features 16 pack 2000 mAh rechargeable AA batteries for digital cameras and remotes. They are pre-charged and adapted to use out of the box. The extremely slow self-discharge retains 80% of capacity and combines the finest facilities of AA alkaline (readily usable) and rechargeable batteries. The battery is well-protected for overcharge and caters to HSF requirements.
- Most highly rated, durable and inexpensive batteries
- With similar performance to Sanyo Eneloops, Amazon Basics batteries are cheaper
- Needs to fully discharge before recharging again
- Need to discharge and recharge for 2 to 3 times to make them return to operating specs
A popular name in the battery industry, Energizer is one among the finest rechargeable alternatives for high-powered gadgets like digital cameras, video game controllers, and flashlights. The batteries last 4 times more in high-powered gadgets than the company’s normal alkaline batteries. Though the specific number of charges capable of being handled by the Recharge in its lifespan has not been listed by Energizer, the company does offer a 5-year guarantee on its product, indicating a lifetime of nearly 400 charges before its performance starts deteriorating.
The Energizer Recharge Power Plus is a NiMH battery which comes pre-charged and ready for use. It is easy to the environment and delivers superb price versus power performance. It comes in sets of 4 or 8 and comes packed in a box with a wall charger which recharges up to 4 AA batteries.
- The battery boasts of 250 recharges and runs for a year
- Can retain its charge nearly 6 months
- Poses problems while recharging at times, and indicator light just won’t turn green
Panasonic Eneloop Batteries
Flaunting a better built as compared to other rechargeables, Eneloop batteries have become a top-selling battery. Eneloops may be recharged nearly 2100 times and they keep their charged capacity many years after storage. After six months, 90% of their charge remains, while after 5 years, they maintain 70% of their charge, when kept at 200 Celsius. Panasonic suggests placing the batteries at a cool place to maximize retention of charge.
These AA sized Eneloops have a rating of 2000mAh and charge in 230 minutes. These batteries are available at Amazon in packs of 8, 16 and 32 and also come with a charger.
- Four LED lights that indicate charge
- AC plug
- The charger is slow, so it can take about 9 hours to fully charge a battery
EBL Rechargeable batteries
The EBL batteries are first-grade AA 2800mAh Ni-MH rechargeable batteries which can be recharged nearly 1200 times when wholly or partly drained. The greatly improved low self-discharge enables it to retain 75% of capacity after 3 years of remaining idle. The pre-charged batteries can be instantly used out from the package. They offer a voltage of 1.2V and great performance of about 1000 rechargeable cycles. The batteries are based on supercell lattice technology which provides the best performance and constant voltage throughout. The batteries have a superb charge and discharge performance and will stay in top quality after 3-5 times of charge and discharge on first time or after a long time of non-use.
- Greater life as compared to common alkaline batteries
- The batteries don’t include Hg/Cd/Pb, thus are eco-friendly
- They are excellent for high power requiring devices like digital camera and children’s toys
- A few users reported problems in their charge holding capacity
Duracell Rechargeable Batteries
Duracell batteries have dominated electronics globally for decades. The bright packaging of Duracell and the popular copper-gold top attract consumers towards its products. One of the major products offered by Duracell is the StayCharged Rechargeable AA battery. They recharge to almost 400 times with Duralock Power Preserve Technology, as per independent tests and provide a 3-year storage guarantee. StayCharged comprises an eco-friendly item which works superbly for high drain gadgets. Bundled packages including a wall charger are easily available with Duracell StayCharged. Individual chargers are also present, including those which recharge the batteries in only 15 minutes.
- These batteries do not require charging before being used for the first time
- They are long lasting
- They do not require a special charger and you can employ your existing NiMH charger
- You can mix them with normal Duracells and unknowingly throw them away after they have lost charge
Factors to consider when buying AA rechargeable batteries
- Purpose Usage: The Eneloops deliver nearly the same as the Energizers but sell at nearly 25% more. If Energizers are not available for sale, you can opt for Eneloop batteries, but the Energizers function well and are generally cheaper. Since their launch, Panasonic Eneloop batteries have tripled capacity and doubled cycle life or the number of recharges a battery can stand without too much deterioration. But a more significant feature is the amazingly long shelf life of the recent generation of NiMH batteries. All batteries marked pre-charged or low self-discharge will maintain their charge for many years. A test of shelf life claims shows that after 9 months on the shelf, batteries had more power remaining than any new AA battery. So a bad outcome with Duracell, Energizer or a different brand some time back shouldn’t prompt you to discard them today.
- Brands: The four batteries from the reputed Duracell brand are ideal for high-tech gadgets that need greater power. Capable of being recharged nearly 300 times, the batteries will power your gadgets for a long time. Energizer, the world reputed manufacturer of high-tech electronics affords a bang for each buck with its set of 8 batteries. The high-tech NiMH cells packed in them charge quickly and retain the charge longer making them ideal for high-drain electronics like PDAs and high flush digital cameras. The more capacity EBL rechargeable batteries with the capacity to retain almost 75% of their charge capacity after 3 constant years, they are recommended for photography fans. The Amazon Basics AA rechargeable batteries provide greater performance high voltage to run your gadgets longer. The Panasonic Eneloop is a good option if you desire ultra-power batteries to power your high drain digital camera and flashlight regardless of cost.
- Features: The Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries are 2000mAh kind, 1900mAh min, Ni-MH rechargeable batteries that retain 70% of their charge after ten years of non-use. They can be used abundantly being recharged up to 2100 times. The Energizer batteries are extremely convenient and can charge 3 to 5 hours with auto shut-off to avoid overcharging. It can also charge 4 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries simultaneously. The Energizer Recharge Power Plus strikes the finest balance between power & longevity. The EBL 2800mAh Ni-MH rechargeable batteries are based on supercell lattice technology which furnishes reliably constant voltage. The Duracell Coppertop AA batteries with Duralock Power Preserve technology ensure identical capacity and duration of the power.
- Quality: The EBL series of rechargeable batteries are of high-quality, being officially certified by CE & ROHS, which guarantees the top quality & performance. The high-grade pre-charged battery may be conveniently utilized right out of the package. Panasonic’s upgraded alternative Eneloop pro can keep charge for a long duration of time, with a capacity of 2,550mAh and Low Self Discharge technology lasts longer by delivering more power when used against high-power using devices than similar NiMH rechargeable batteries.
- Easy to use: The EBL rechargeable AA batteries are better than more expensive batteries and incorporate a protective design which stops them from exploding as a result of abuse. Moreover, they may be recharged 1200 times affording a dependable power source for an extended period. The sophisticated construction design of Amazon Basics and low self-discharge cells make them retain a greater percentage of their power after many years of usage and their high voltage runs devices longer. Eneloops are a little fatter, so there is difficulty in their fitting on certain devices.
Best AA battery charger Reviews
Your battery is what keep the gadgets ticking and when it gets drained out then only you realize what a blessing the battery chargers are. The chargers featured on our list are some of the smartest out there. The best aa battery charger contain an inbuilt safeguard to resist overcharging as well as undercharging. You can also rely on their capacity to manage all battery sizes. A battery simply cannot deliver without the charger.
Chargers are generally recognized by its charging speed. The AA or AAA batteries are rechargeable batteries and all you need is just pop a group of drained out batteries inside a charger and just wait to see them rejuvenated. The only attention which the chargers require is to take them off after they finish the charging work to stop the power from leaking into it and causing overcharging.
The charger brands you choose does not matter so long as the batteries to be charged are normal NiMh rechargeables. Chargers come with charge indicator or extra-fast charging speeds. Good quality rechargeable batteries should be placed in battery chargers.
While buying a battery charger the buyer’s mind searches for qualities like brand popularity, functionality, quality and the cost factor. Thus, do focus on our buyer’s guide and will help in selecting the
5 Best AA battery charger Products for comparison
There are various battery charger makers but we have taken great care to pick the great performers to help you settle for the finest product. The below listed is a well – studied choice of the top battery chargers present in the market
Sun Labz Battery Charger Rechargeable Batteries
This 12 Slot Battery Charger from SunLabs is a smart charger used for AA, AAA, NiHM or NiMH 1.2v Rechargeable Batteries. It can detect voltage with precision and protects from over or under charging. It guarantees maximum safety with its reverse polarity safeguard and a timer shut down of 8 hours.
It's illuminated LCD display reveals the charging status of every rechargeable battery. The charger can recharge approximately 1,000 times 2800mAh NiMH SunLabz rechargeable batteries.
- Fast and reliable
- Can charge both AAA and AA batteries
- Eco-friendly solution
- Backlight LCD indicator which might be annoying
Titanium Battery 100 240V Adapters MD 1600 L
It is a quick battery charger and performs like an ultimate battery charging station. You can almost charge 16 Ni-MH-AA or AAA batteries in one go. The stunning charger displays a clean design and it can charge 16 batteries and is so compact that it can be snugly placed in your traveling bag. Its backlit LCD denotes the level of charging and the micro pulse charging creates the fastest possible charge upgrading the battery life.
The MD -1600L comprises a 16 channel charger and its each slot contains a circuit directed to survey the battery charged by it. Its intelligent circuitry detects the charging of the battery and automatically shifts onto a trickle charge which saves the battery from overheating and extends its cell life. This feature permits the charging of different combination of batteries at the similar time including AAS to AAAs with varying state of charging.
It's easily readable LCD screens have indigo backlights that display a battery icon. Every channel is denoted by its individual battery icon constituted of 4 “bars” that represent charge percentage.
- Worth the money
- Can charge batteries on the go
- Display lacks info
Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Rechargeable Batteries
This Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Eneloop Charging System is a fine accessory kit for battery driven gadgets like flashlights or digital cameras. The BQ-CC17 charger makes it convenient to charge many cells simultaneously. The four included rechargeable batteries conserve both energy and money. They are reusable with lengthy storage duration and functions excellently at low temperature. The Eneloop AA or AAA cells can be fully charged within just six hours. Its battery identification technique makes the BQ-CC17 charger automatically power off after completion of charging.
It’s an advanced 4-point charger that allows separate battery charging and can recharge multiple batteries at the same time. This helps to avoid multiple charging requirements. It has four separate inbuilt LED charging lights. It can perform well in low temperature and can be recharged up to 2100 times.
- Cheaper as compared to others
- LED light indicator
- No cons as such
La Crosse Technology BC700 Alpha Power Battery Charger
The charger comes with four modes and can charge every NiCd and NiMH AA and AAA rechargeable batteries. The four modes comprise of charge, discharge whereby it discharges the batteries and later recharges, recharge and test by showing the battery capacity. All modes default by itself to 200 mA charge and can charge both AA & AAA rechargeable battery at the same time and charge each low-discharge battery.
The BC700 charger is equipped with an overheat detection to safeguard from over-charging with its LCD displaying the battery capacity after completion of charging. The user can choose a range of milliamp settings ranging from 200 to 700 for a quicker charging. It also has a discharge mode that minimizes memory effect by totally discharging rechargeable battery prior to a total capacity recharging.
The charger has safeguards that can detect rechargeable battery polarity, battery temperature and damaged rechargeable batteries. It can function on 100-200V AC Input. It measures 5” long and 3” in width and 1-1/2” in height with a limited one year warranty period.
- Comes with 4 operation modes
- Adjustable charging speeds
- Reasonable price
- May catch fire on a faulty connection
Energizer Recharge Pro Charger
This charger conserves your money by giving you renewable power. Built for charging AA NiMH rechargeable batteries within 3 hours the Pro charger optimizes battery performance. It flashes audio and video alerts
It leads in the market survey as world number one rechargeable brand. It's a time-saving feature of charging simultaneously both AA &AAA battery type makes it a valuable product. Its automatic shut-off feature protects you from overcharging.
- Perfect for both AA and AAA batteries
- Reasonable price
- May smell like a burnt plastic if not connected well
How to purchase the best AA battery charger
- Purpose Usage: The Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Rechargeable Batteries have a long storage life and can restore 70% of their charge for a period of ten years when not in use. It has better conductivity and recharges almost 2100 times. It saves your money better by reusing its batteries through charging with its 4 point charger holding 2-4 NiMH batteries. It is the best choice for many people who desire reliable charging as it includes four Eneloop AA batteries. The Lacrosse BC-700 permits in-depth monitoring and management. But if you just require simple charging and don’t need to monitor the capacity of your battery go for Panasonic Advanced.
- Brands: The Panasonic brand can be charged up to 2100 times and its Eneloop batteries are better designed than other rechargeable batteries. You can store them at 20 degree Celsius and maintain 70% of charge compared to SunLabz 2800 mAH AA battery.
- Features: Titanium Battery 100 240V Adapters MD 1600 L is a smart battery charger with its 16 bay Ni- MHAA/AAA Battery Charger AC 100-240V and DC adapters while Sun Labz with its 16 slots is also an efficient charger for AA AAA NiCd NiHM Rechargeable Batteries. The distinct feature of Titanium MD 1600 is its capacity to charge 16 batteries in one go. Its battery junction has a 30-day warranty. The Panasonic Eneloop batteries can function in extreme temperature reaching almost -4 degrees Fahrenheit. It maintains your tactical walkie-talkie transistors, flashlights, and cameras powered during winter.
- Easy of Use: The Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Eneloop charging System from Sanyo contains a retractable AC Plug for convenient storage and carrying. If you need a small reliable charger to recharge AA and AAA batteries then look no beyond than La Crosse Technology BC-700.
- Quality: The La Crosse BC-700 charger is the earliest and lowest priced model and does nearly everything that is performed by the more expensive models. Energizer battery chargers carry a simple design and its different models provide a quicker battery charger time than others – you can charge partially in merely 15 minutes and a few Energizer chargers can charge both AA and AAA batteries. Most models carry a LED light which indicates when the batteries are wholly charged and fit for use. Some come packaged with pre-charged batteries. The rest of the chargers also do not comprise on quality and feature among the best AA battery chargers.
The best rechargeable aa batteries that we discussed above were picked from the test parameters of capacity, life, and cost and their performance based on their charging-cum-discharging cycles. The Energizer Recharge Universal batteries qualified the test based on its initial capacity and self-discharge and so did the rest like Panasonic Eneloop with its better performance in high drain gadgets. The rest also stood the test.
The chargers are capable of handling each battery individually and know exactly when to stop charging. The smart chargers described above were the best AA battery chargers that are not too expensive at all. The high-end chargers such as the LA Crosse BC series can intelligently test the capacity of a battery.
To measure battery capacity the charger can run the battery low to 1.0V and measure its exact energy level. The BC-700 is astonishingly cheaper and is the convenient bet for maximum users. Though it lacks the 1000mA charging speed of the BC-1000 version but one should not be charging batteries that quick somehow.
All the chargers mentioned are worth the investment whether for their convenience or ability. Be it the Titanium charger that can instantly charge 16 NiMH batteries or the one with maximum recharge capacity of 2100 times. Yes, you guessed right the Panasonic Eneloops which are fourth generation chargers.
Have you tried any of the above-mentioned ones? If yes, do share your experience with us and write to us in comments!