The Essential Car Battery Accessories You Need
To ensure the reliability of your car batteries, which is tantamount into being roadworthy of your vehicle, it is important to invest in the right one. You should find time to differentiate the different options to make the right choice. More than choosing the right battery, however, there is another important thing to keep in mind – choosing the best car battery accessories.
For a lot of people car battery accessories are often overlooked. They might be small, but you should never underestimate what they can do to be able to make sure that your battery will be working at its best. In most instances, even if you are using a battery that is made by a premium brand, if the accessories are inferior in terms of quality, you are still not going to optimize the functionality of your chosen battery.
In the rest of this post, we will identify some of the car battery accessories that you need. We will take a look at some of their most notable features, and more importantly, how they can be used properly.
Car Battery Terminals
Among the different accessories that are needed by your battery, one of the most important would be the terminal. This will serve as the starting point for battery installation. They provide the electrical contact between the cables and the batteries, which is why they are also commonly referred to as car battery connectors. Car battery terminals have varying characteristics, which will have an impact on the functionality of the battery. The car battery terminals will depend not only on the specific battery that will be used, but also based on the car models.
Generally speaking, the following are some of the most common types of car battery terminals that are available in the market:
- Copper Battery Terminals: This type of battery terminal is available in various configurations, such as right angle, left angle, straight, and parallel. Your choice of which to purchase will depend on the battery and vehicle-specific requirements. Generally speaking, copper terminals are known for impressive conductivity.
- Fusion Battery Terminals: The built-in solder and flux is one of the best things about this option. They are cost-effective compared to the standard options that are available in the marketplace. In addition, they are also known for being straightforward in terms of installation.
- Brass Battery Terminals: While brass terminals can also be used in car batteries, more often than not, they are more popular in marine environments because of their low corrosive property. They are also known for their exceptional strength.
- Lead Battery Terminals: The distinct characteristic of this battery terminal compared to others is the fact that it is made using lead alloy, a material that is known for its tensile strength. Their hardness makes them a popular choice for heavy vehicles, such as trucks.
Car Battery Cables
To be able to connect the battery to your vehicles, you need to have car battery cables. These cables will be connected to the terminals, which will then be attached to the battery. It is critical to choose car battery cables properly because it will be indicative of the ability to conduct energy in a manner that is more efficient. For this reason, many prefer thicker wires, especially because it is also going to be less susceptible to wear and tear. If you are looking for car battery cables, the following are some of the most common options that will confront you:
- 6 AWG Gauge Battery Cable: It is a 100% copper conductor wire with a nominal outside diameter of .33 inches. It can be used for up to 60 volts.
- 4 AWG Gauge Battery Cable: This car battery cable is made from 70 strands of true 22.5 gauge copper conductor wire. Its nominal diameter is just a bit larger than the cable mentioned above as it is .38 inches. Like in the case of the 6 AWG Gauge Battery Cable, it is also rated for up to 60-volt applications.
- 2 AWG Gauge Battery Cable: In this model, 33 strands of 23 gauge copper conductor wire is used and it has a nominal diameter of .450 inches. It is also rated for 60 voltage of use.
- 1 AWG Gauge Battery Cable: This battery has a rating of 60 volts, nominal diameter of .49 inches, and 133 strands of 22 gauge true copper wire.
- 1/0 Battery Cable: With nominal outside diameter of .55 inches, it is made from 133 strands of true 21 gauge copper conductor wire.
- 2/0 Battery Cable: It comes with 133 strands of true 20 gauge copper conductor wire and has nominal outside diameter of .605 inches.
- 3/0 Battery Cable: With 259 strands of true 22 gauge copper conductor wire, this cable has nominal outside diameter of .695 inches.
- 4/0 Battery Cable: With nominal outside diameter of .760 inches, this cable comes with 19 x 108 of true 30 gauge copper wire.
Car Battery Chargers
A car battery charger can prove to be handy in ways more than one, which is why it pays to always have one ready in the garage or in your trunk. It can be useful for maintenance charging, which is necessary if the battery is going to be stored for an extended period of time. It can also be used for conventional charging and engine start function. If you are looking for the best car battery charger, there are essential factors that should be taken into account, such as your type of vehicle and the specific battery where the charger will be used.
To be able to make sure that your battery is going to provide the power that will be needed by your car, it is important to not only choose the right brand, but also the right accessories. Car battery accessories, such as connectors and cables, will enhance their functionality. It will increase the efficiency of the battery and will optimize the power that it can provide for your cars. In the same way that you give careful thought in buying car batteries, the same is required for car battery accessories.